We’re Hiring for a Communications Specialist Position!
We’re seeking a top-notch communications specialist to join our communication team at Salud America!, our national Latino health equity organization based at the Institute for Health Promotion Research (IHPR) in the Department of Population Health Sciences at UT Health San Antonio.
The position will write, edit, and communicate health content and messages.
This includes digital content curation for the IHPR’s Salud America! project, as well as assisting in the production of numerous IHPR internal and external communication vehicles, such as newsletters, email blasts, presentations, websites, social media, press releases and more.
Details for the Communications Specialist Position
A bachelor’s degree and two years of related experience is required.
Also preferred experience includes:
- Knowledge and/or strong interest in health awareness, health disparities, and environmental health strongly preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication/journalism skills, especially in writing for news media, blogs and social media, conducting public relations-type activities, alongside demonstrated skills in writing, editing, proofing, and ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written, digital, and audio/video formats (such as podcasts and YouTube videos).
- Experience utilizing the latest tools to measure the impact of digital content, webpages, and social media; particularly with WordPress, Google Analytics, Hootsuite, and Symplur Signals.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, and various web/e-communications programs (e.g., mass email systems such as SalsaLabs).
- Self-motivated and able to work independently or collaboratively to produce high-quality deliverables.
- Ability to multitask and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and an expansive editorial/marketing calendar.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
Why Join Salud America!
Latinos are a rising U.S. powerhouse.
But they face barriers to be their healthiest and suffer high rates of obesity and other health inequities.
Salud America! creates culturally relevant and research-based stories, videos, a podcast, and action tools to inspire people to start and support healthy changes to policies, systems, and environments where Latino and all children and families can equitably live, learn, work, and play.
The program’s award-winning multimedia communications help our social and digital network—more than 500,000 moms and dads, providers, and community and school leaders—push for healthy changes.
We cover the areas of Healthy Families and Schools, Healthy Neighborhoods and Communities, and Healthy and Cohesive Cultures.
Salud America! is led by health disparities researcher Dr. Amelie G. Ramirez and supported by a passionate team of communicators at Ramirez’s Institute for Health Promotion Research in the Department of Population Health Sciences in the School of Medicine at UT Health San Antonio. The program is supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and other grants.